Monday, November 16, 2009

Rome

I was in Rome a few weekends ago and the city is amazing. Trevor and Lucas from New York and Kristian from Denmark traveled with me. The flight was cheap and short, just under two hours. We arrived in Rome on a Thursday night and went back to Prague on Sunday night so we got to sightsee for all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The hostel we stayed at had a really good location and it was inexpensive. You could walk to the Coloseum in five minutes.

The first day we went to Vatican City. There was no line at all. We walked right into the museum. We were warned that there was going to be a long line, so that as nice. The Vatican Museum is something around three miles long and we were there for over three hours. It was really nice. We split an audio guide between the four of us and it worked great. I didn’t realize many exhibits that there would be. Some of the best things to see in the museum were Raphael’s rooms and the Sistine chapel. After the museum we went to St. Peter’s Basilica. The church was huge. It’s the largest church in the world. It was amazing to see.

The second day we walked to the Coloseum. It was incredible. It was definitely my favorite thing we saw. I can’t imagine what it would have looked like in its prime. The weather was also very nice. The sun came out when we were walking around inside the Coloseum. I had not seen the sun for two weeks in Prague... So it was extremely nice to have a sunny day. After that we walked through the Roman Forum ruins. It wasn’t very exciting to see. We should have walked through them faster than we did. We kind of wandered around and took our time. That’s when both Trevor and Lucas’s cameras ran out of battery. Mine ran out of battery two hours after theirs did. I had already taken 500 pictures at that time. Trevor was able to find someone else at our hostel with the same camera charger so he had his camera on the third day. We went to the Pantheon after that and that’s where I took my last pictures. The Pantheon was bigger than I thought it was going to be. The ceiling was interesting. After that, we went to Trevi fountain, which was really cool as well.

The third day we walked around in northern Rome. Nothing terribly exciting, just visited a few town squares and some fountains. It was a nice and relaxing day. The weather was great so we just took our time at each square or fountain. We had already seen everything that we wanted to see. I had five gelatos while in Rome and they were all amazing. The food that we had was decent, but we were also eating at more inexpensive restaurants. One night we bought food at the grocery store and cooked in the hostel. That was the best meal that we had all weekend. All in all, I had a really nice time in Rome. I’m glad that I was able to make it there while I am in Europe. There is so much to see but I think that I saw everything that I wanted to.

Pictures from Rome.

No comments: